European economic affairs commissioner, Olli Rehn, said in Athens on Tuesday that they would discuss how Portugal is going to leave the bailout programme in the coming weeks, but he supported the idea of a precautionary programme.
Rehn was in Greece for a meeting of euro zone finance ministers.
“We believe that it is better safe than sorry even though there have been significant improvements in the Portuguese economy and the market perceptions of the Portuguese economy”, he said.
Asked when the way out would be discussed, he said “in the coming weeks”.
Eurogroup president, Jeroen Dijsselbloem, who is also in Athens, added that no decision had been taken as yet.
“I think we have a bit more time and that the Portuguese government should decide by themselves. Then we shall discuss in the Eurogroup, so I don’t expect any conclusions today”, he said.
NM/ADB // ADB.
In the News
Friday, 10 February 2017
Wednesday, 12 October 2016
Friday, 23 September 2016
Wednesday, 14 September 2016