Monastery of Santa Maria de Leça

Matosinhos
Description
Classified as national heritage in 1910, this medieval building is considered one of the most important pieces of architecture in the country. The origin of the monastery dates back to the 10th century, but the current building was erected in the 14th century Gothic style. In 1128, Countess D.Teresa made a donation to the Order of the Knights Hospitallers of St. John (later called the Order of Malta) and the monastery was the first headquarters of this order in Portugal.
The gothic style monument–one of the first in Portugal - dates back to the 14th century renovation and enlargement of the monastery by initiative of the bailiff D. Frei Estevão Vasques de Pimentel. It was finished in 1336 as a fortress church.
It was in this monastery that King D. Fernando married D. Leonor Teles.
The monastery sets the stage for an historic recreation, namely the Medieval Fair, held annually on second weekend of September.


Location: Matosinhos
O Fernando

O Fernando

Restaurant Fernando is a familiar and nice  place to enjoy the excellence of traditional...
More info
Churrasqueira O Viajante

Churrasqueira O Viajante

Weekly Rest Day: Sunday Payment Methods: ATM, MBway and Cash
More info
Comments There are no comments from our visitors. Be the first to comment.
Evaluate: Make your evaluation